- Cook chicken in water, adding pandan leaves and salt for flavour.
- Simmer the chicken for 20 to 30 minutes, but do not overcook.
- To check for doneness, poke a chopstick into the chicken - it should go in easily.
- Remove chicken, let cool and cut into serving pieces.
- Keep the stock for rice and soup.
- Fry ginger and garlic with oil until fragrant.
- Add to rice.
- Add the chicken stock, cinnamon, cloves and pandan leaves to the rice.
- Cook in a rice cooker.
- Put the garlic and ginger in a mixer and blend until finely chopped.
- Add chopped red chilies, vinegar, fish sauce, salt and sugar to taste.
- Squeeze the lime juice in just before serving.
- To serve: arrange the chicken on a plate and serve with sliced cucumber on the side.
- For flavour, sprinkle some light soya sauce and sesame oil over the chicken and garnish with coriander leaves.
- Serve the chili sauce in separate bowls.
- Remove pandan leaves, garlic, ginger, cloves and cinnamon from rice.
- Serve the rice piping hot.