Chicken In Coconut Soup
4 oz noodles
6 cups low-sodium chicken broth
1-2 red Thai peppers (seeded and finely chopped)
3 cloves chopped garlic
1tbsp fresh ginger, (minced)
2tsp lemon zest, (grated)
1tsp lime zest, (grated)
1/4 cup fresh lime juice
4tbsp Thai fish sauce
1/2 pound mushrooms, (sliced)
2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (cut into strips)
1 cup coconut milk (light or regular)
2 cups baby spinach
2tbsp cilantro, (chopped)
- Place noodles in a bowl;add enough warm water to cover and let sit until soft, about 15 minutes, then drain and set aside.
- Combine broth, pepper, garlic, ginger, lemon zest, lime juice and 3 tablespoons fish sauce in a medium saucepan.
- Season it with salt.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to a simmer.
- Add noodles and cook 3 minutes more.
- Using tongs, transfer noodles to a bowl and cover with foil to keep warm.
- Add mushrooms to broth; simmer 3 minutes more.
- Add chicken and coconut milk and simmer, stirring, until chicken is just cooked.
- Stir in spinach until it begins to wilt, about 1 minute.
- Add chopped cilantro and season with remaining 1 tablespoon fish sauce.
- Suggestions: Using tongs, divide noodles among 4 bowls.
- Ladle soup into bowls and garnish with sprigs of cilantro and slices of pepper.