Aam Ka Panna
1kg green, unripe mangoes
20g black salt
1tsp cumin seeds
1tsp black pepper (ground)
A handful of fresh mint leaves
Additional table salt to taste
Small ice cubes or crushed ice
- Wash mangoes and cut off the tops, stalk ends of each mango, removing a small portion of skin (about 1cm circle) along with the stalk.
- This removes the sticky sap that may sometimes cause irritation of the skin.
- Place mangoes and one cup water in a pan, bring to boil and simmer until soft.
- You can cook mangoes in a pressure cooker, 1 whistle or 3-4 minutes, under full pressure is enough.
- Allow the pressure cooker to cool.
- Take the cooled mangoes out of water and peel the skins off.
- Squeeze one mango at a time in your palm and collect the pulp and juice in a bowl.
- Discard the skins and stones.
- Place this pulp, with all other ingredients, in a blender and puree.
- Fill in sterilised bottles and store.
- You can also store portions in a freezer.
- To serve, dilute with cold water, add salt and pour on crushed ice placed in tall glasses.
- You can garnish with fresh mint leaves.